I always make something special for my husband when I’m going away. This time it’s beet- chocolate muffins, a recipe from my gal pal Rachel Dancsok. I tweaked to make it my own using whole wheat. The beets are from the ones my husband planted for the jackrabbit. Little Dusty was spooked by the car coming down the driveway and he left our property. The beets were therefore available to use.
What I used:
2 cups grated beets (2 medium beets)
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoon cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup milk
½ cup sugar (any kind)
¼ cup margarine
¼ cup oil
¾ cups chocolate chipits (I used white and brown but any would work)
What I did:
- Wash and peel the beets. Grate on the large side of the grater.
- Mix dry ingredients together – flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
- Add to beets.
- Toss in half of the chipits.
- In a bowl use hand blender to blend eggs, milk, margarine and oil.
- Add to beet mixture and fold in with a wooden spoon.
- Line muffin tin with baking cups and fill. (Makes a dozen). Sprinkle remaining chipits on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 350 degree for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.